Home
Journal 2014
Journal 2013
Journal 2012
Journal 2011
Journal 2010
Journal 2009
Journal 2008
Journal 2007
Journal 2006
Journal 2005
Journal 2004
Journal 2003
Journal 2002
Journal 2001
Journal 2000
Journal 1999
Journal 1998
Journal 1997
Journal 1996
Journal 1995
Journal 1994
Journal 1993
Journal 1992
Journal 1991
Journal 1990
Journal 1989
Journal 1988
Search Articles

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL

The annual Tipperary Historical Journal has established itself, both here and abroad, as an authoritative source of new research on the history of County Tipperary. A full listing of all articles and book reviews can be found under each year.

BACK ISSUES
Back issues of in-print Journals are still available
at €20.00 each, Sterling £18.00 each; US $27.00 each, Canadian $37.00 each or Australian $37.00 [These prices include postage and packing]. We can accept personal cheques or bank drafts only: please do not send cash or any other form of cheque [including Credit Union drafts]. Please make cheque payable to Co. Tipperary Historical Society and post to: Co. Tipperary Historical Society, Castle Avenue, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.
The following issues of the Tipperary Historical Journal are now out of print: 1988; 1989; 1990; 1991; 1992; 1994; 1995; 1998; 2000. However, you can now read the articles online from ALL out-of-print Journals - just choose the Journal and the individual article [you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed - free at adobe.com]. Over 2,000 pages have been scanned and uploaded, comprising nearly 190 articles and all Book Reviews.

FINDING AN ARTICLE
You can search through the article titles and authors for all years by choosing the "Search Articles" button on the left: this allows a "free text" search of all Journals on one page. You can also use an Index compiled in MS Excel by Patrick M.A. Nolan B.A., which can be downloaded by clicking here.

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL
The Tipperary Historical Journal, since its inception, has published new research on Co. Tipperary spanning a multitude of disciplines. It is virtually impossible to describe the range and breadth of material the Journal has covered since the first issue in 1988, although you might start by looking at the list of articles in each Journal year by year. However, the short descriptions below of some of the Journals by our late Editor, Marcus Bourke, give a good introduction to the subjects you can expect to find between the covers of the Journal. (These extracts are taken from various Society Newsletters over the years: the Newsletters are reproduced in full elsewhere on this site).

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL 2001

"Readers of the 2001 Tipperary Historical Journal will probably not be surprised to learn that Tipperary Town based historian Des Marnane is involved in the two longest articles in this the fourteenth Journal. His detailed analysis of the social conditions of his native town just 100 years ago, based on the 1901 Census, occupies 26 pages. Similarly, his supplementary notes to the first instalment (to be continued annually) of John Davis White's classic "Sixty Years in Cashel", never republished since it first appeared in 1893, fill another 26 pages. Readers from Clonoulty and thereabouts will be fascinated to see the reappearance, after six years, of the Northern historian Richard Reid (now of Australia), who contributes a second instalment of his story of the mass emigration in the mid-1900's of Clonoulty folk to Australia, complete with contemporary illustrations.
A posthumous account of Tipperary men who fought in the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s comes from Pat Lonergan of Kilfeacle, whose family still treasure the certificate he got, signed by both General Franco and General Eoin O'Duffy. The Nenagh area features in two quite different articles in the forthcoming Journal - an account by David Murphy of the Dictionary of Irish Biography project on an army mutiny in Nenagh in 1857, and a 14 page account from Richard O'Brien of Cashel of the recent excavations in and around the new Nenagh by-pass. Maria Luddy of Clonmel (now of Warwick University) gives an account of the women's history sources uncovered by her recent Government-sponsored Irish Women's History project, while Áine Chadwick (also of Clonmel) traces the career of local nun Alice O'Sullivan who, with nine others, was massacred in China in 1870. As if to show how ecumenical our Journal is, David Butler of Cahir completes his survey of Presbyterianism in the Fethard area from 1890 to 1919, and Dúchas personality Con Manning (of Kilcash origin) writes on the two Sir George Hamilton's and their connections with Roscrea and Nenagh castles. Liam Ó'Donnchú of Thurles Sarsfields shows how widespread hurling was in mid-Tipperary before the GAA and John Doyle were ever born. Michael O'Donnell of Fethard continues his scholarly series on Tipperary MP's from 1560 to 1800, while Professor Peter Woodman of UCC reports on a dig at Ballybrado House near Cahir.
In a searing article Edmund O'Riordan of Clogheen Clogheen (& UCC) tells how the gentry dined and wined while the proletariat had to starve or emigrate in Black '47. The Journal once again ends with a fine - in this issue almost 30 pages - section on book reviews of Tipperary interest. No fewer than twelve academic reviewers, located from Australia to Belfast, deal with publications on such widely diverse topics as Geoffrey Keating to Sadleir the banker, William Smith O'Brien to poor Bridget Cleary, the latter now taker over by two mediocre American feminist 'historians'. This section is a journal within a journal once again!"

 

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL 2000

"For the past five issues, the Tipperary Historical Journal has commemorated the 150th anniversary of the Great Famine of the 1840's. Dominated by an annual article from the pen of Denis G. Marnane, the Famine was analysed and recalled in no less than 28 articles, filling over 350 pages - all of it original research that will be used by future students of the Famine. Now, with Des Marnane's final article - based in part on archdiocesan baptismal and marriage records - all that comes to an end, and the Journal returns to more conventional topics!
A major contribution for the 2000 Journal comes from William Jenkins, author of the recent history of Tipperary "Co-Op", who, in a long article, traces the history of the butter markets of South Tipperary in the 100 years or so before the rise early in the twentieth century of the creameries. Clonmel native Áine Chadwick, now resident in rural England, writes on two war memorials at Kickham Barracks, Clonmel, which survived the destruction of the barracks during the Civil War. The names of many Tipperary men who took the Queen's shilling are on these two handsome monuments. The American Civil War of the 1860s, in which many Irishmen participated, is the background of a short piece by New York lawyer Ed Shaughnessy, who traces the career of his ancestor William Walsh of Cahir who, as a U.S. marine NCO, took part in that war. The prelude to the Irish War Of Independence forms the backdrop to an extract from the memoirs of the late Eamon Ó Duibhir of Clonoulty who, as an IRB man and Irish Volunteer officer in pre-1916 days, met the Labour leader James Connolly in Dublin.
Going back several centuries earlier, Fr. Ignatius Fennessy OFM, who is librarian at the Franciscan house in Killiney, Co. Dublin, recounts the mysterious theft of a sacred relic from Holycross Abbey, restored in the 1970s by the patron of the Society which produces the Tipperary Historical Journal, the late Archbishop Thomas Morris. Irish Times journalist Brendan Ó Cathaoir, specialist in 19th century nationalism, traces the colourful career of Young Irelander and 1848 man John Blake Dillon, grandfather of Fine Gael personality, James Dillon, T.D. Remaining in the same period, Thurles writer Proinsias Ó Drisceoil, in a short essay, ponders the decline in popularity of Charles Kickham of "Knocknagow" fame. Fethard historian Michael O'Donnell contributes the first of several instalments on the parliamentary representatives for Co. Tipperary in the 240-year period from 1560 to the abolition of the old Irish parliament by the Act of Union in 1801.
Two articles, which between them deal with what might loosely be called the minority community in Co. Tipperary, come from the pens of Cahir graduate David Butler and Cornwall resident Arthur Carden. The latter attempts to rescue the [un-]popular reputation of his collateral ancestor "Woodcock" Carden of Barnane, near Templemore. The former contributes the first of two scholarly accounts of Presbyterianism in the Fethard area from 1690 to 1919. Clonmel-woman Nellie Beary-Ó Cléirigh, an expert on Irish lace, recalls the efforts of "do-gooder" Lady Aberdeen, wife of a Viceroy of Ireland, to promote an embroidery industry in the pretty village of Marlfield.
Devotees of archaeology are unusually well catered for in the Tipperary Historical Journal this year. In a major article - the first of several, the Editor hopes - Queen's University archaeologist John Ó Néill, with the co-operation of many named colleagues, presents a summary of the multitude of archaeological finds made by the Lisheen Project as the Galmoy mining got underway. Tipperary UCD graduate, Richard Clutterbuck, traces the history of a late medieval settlement at Graystown, near Fethard, while Richard O'Brien of Cashel records some recent archaeological finds at Killea graveyard, near Templemore.
In an unusually long Books Section, Seán Connolly of Queen's University and John Logan of Limerick University pass generally favourable treatment on Tom McGrath's monumental two-volume tomes on Bishop Doyle of Kildare & Leighlin of the 1800's. Another review worth careful reading, by Raghnall Ó Floinn of the National Museum, castigates the editorial "work" on two posthumous volumes by the late Fr. Colmcille of Clonmel & Mellifont, which Ó Floinn regards as falling well below the expected scholarly standard. Finally, Carrick litterateur Michael Coady gives a glowing account of Angela Bourke's new study of the case of Bridget Cleary, burned alive over her kitchen fire by her husband Michael as recently as 1895."

 

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL 1999

"The Tipperary Historical Journal for 1999, our twelfth, is due for publication after Easter and contains at least three unusual features. Running to over 230 pages, it ends with a 22-page ten year index (by Pat Nolan of Kilkenny), covering all issues from 1988 to 1997 inclusive. Next, it has two fine full-page colour illustrations - one of two Irish soldiers of the Irish Brigade of the French royal army (in a second article on this topic by Eoghan Ó hAnnracháin), the other a portrait of Cornwallis Maude, 4th Viscount Hawarden, whose family lived in Dundrum House (now a popular hotel) until 1904. Thirdly, this Journal is unique in that, in place of the usual editorial message is a Guest Editorial by Prof. Vincent Comerford of NUI Maynooth’s Modern History Department.
The 1999 Journal contains no less than 17 substantial articles, as well as the usual Books Section (dominated by a lengthy review by Dr. John Bradley - also of Maynooth - of Denise Maher’s book on Tipperary’s medieval grave-slabs), a second report on our recent readers’ survey and our fifth consecutive Famine Section. This last is graced once more by Des Marnane with his usual impressive array of statistical tables, while Martin Ryan of RTÉ (soon to publish yet another life of Gen. Sir William Butler) engages in some neat historical detective work on a famine eviction he suspects was carried out by the General’s own father. The remaining Famine article is by Helen Kennally of Leeds, who tells a heart-rending tale of North Tipperary orphans “exported” to Yorkshire by an unscrupulous landowner from near Puckane.

In what amounts to a second Editorial - but still not from the Editor’s pen - Michael Hall lambasts the continued obliteration of townland boundaries by “progressive” farming inside and outside the county, in a short piece which has the support of the County Tipperary Historical Society. Hot with the news of the discovery (by himself and his twelve year old son) of a “new” 'sheela-na-gig' comes Edmund O’Riordan of Clogheen, whose two-page illustrated article arrived after final proofs for 1999 had been “put to bed”.

Surely the most novel item in the new Journal comes from Corkman Anthony McCann, who reproduces (with explanatory notes) the diary of a teenage boy of the [in-]famous Scully family, kept during a holiday in Paris in 1865 - complete with typical schoolboy spelling! In a fascinating, if high-brow, piece of historical speculation another Corkman, Diarmuid Ó Murchadha (lately Editor of the Journal of the Cork Historical & Archaeological Society) visits several possible Tipperary sites of the medieval synod of Rathbrassil. By far the longest article in 1999 is a 31-page analysis of the possible causes of the decline of the Irish language in North Tipperary long before its demise in Norman “South Tipperary”, which comments on inter alia Dr. Garrett Fitzgerald’s learned R.I.A. paper of 1984, and has a list of sources running to 103 published works! Dr. John Logan of Limerick University has collected and tabulated the vital statistics of no fewer than 67 Tipperary paupers taken into Limerick’s House of Industry between 1774 and 1794. Among them were several “reduced” (sic) housekeepers and several “strollers” like Patrick Fogarty and Will Sallinger whose strolling career ended at 8 years of age.

Archaeologists are served by a 21-page report by Brian Hodkinson on his two year’s work at Nenagh Castle gatehouse, and by a short account by Mary O’Donnell from Clonmel (and UCC) of excavations of a section of the traditional pilgrim route, Rian Bó Phadraig, found near Ardfinnan. Danny Grace has a homely piece, complete with extracts from letters home from the Front, on Nenagh men who served in World War I - including one winner of the Victoria Cross. This is balanced politically by an amusing account by the late Fr. Pat Gaynor (also of Nenagh) of his 1918 confrontation with the Redmondite Dean Innocent Ryan of Cashel. Michael Collins, Cardinal Logue, John Dillon and Piaras Béaslaí also feature in this memoir from over 80 years ago. Perhaps the most unusual item of all in this new Journal is that on a royal mediation conference held in Terryglass monastery 1262 years ago, in 737 A.D. A thirteen page account of the Franciscans in Clonmel begins in the 1260s, while the only Irish language contribution is a discussion by Donnchadh Ó Duibhir of a manuscript by a Limerick man written in 1714 and found in Bolton Library in Cashel."

 

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL 1998

"The 1998 Tipperary Historical Journal, which will be ready for dispatch to members in May, will contain some 250 pages, making it the most extensive in our eleven years of publishing this Journal and, dare we venture, one of the most interesting for that fact! [for the statisticians among us, the figures are: 1988: 232 pages; 1989: 168 pages; 1990: 215 pages; 1991: 248 pages; 1992: 244 pages; 1993: 220 pages; 1994: 197 pages; 1995: 217 pages; 1996: 202 pages; 1997: 200 pages]. To mark the 150th anniversary of the Young Ireland Rising of 1848, it will contain over a 50 page commemorative section on the Insurrection. Of the five articles on 1848, two will be of special interest: "The North and Young Ireland" by the late Cardinal Tomás Ó Fiaich and an in-depth analysis of the Confederate Clubs of County Tipperary (town by town) by our Chairman, Dr. Willie Nolan. Dr. Richard Davis of the University of Tasmania, himself of Clonmel Quaker ancestry, writes about William Smith O'Brien, the reluctant leader of 1848 and Dr. Gary Owens, of Western Ontario University in Canada, edits a unique contemporary account of the Rising by the Carlow rebel Patrick O'Donohue. The Section is introduced by Carlow historian, Dr. Pádraig Ó Snodaigh, late of the National Museum and now a prolific publisher (under the imprint Coiscéim) in his own right.

In addition, the 1998 Journal continues, for the fourth successive year, its commemoration of the Great Famine, with four more articles on that event of 150 years ago. Dr. Denis Marnane contributes Part III of his account of the Famine in South Tipperary, adding over 20 more pages to this unique series. Dr. Seán O'Donnell of Clonmel writes on the Famine's impact on that town. Máirtín Ó Corrbuí tells (in Irish) how the Famine struck one small parish of North Tipperary, and the Editor, in a review article, assesses the influence on Famine publications of Dr. Christine Kinealy of Liverpool University. It is worth noting that this Famine section has proved to be of huge interest not alone to our Irish members but more especially to our members outside Ireland, especially those of Irish descent in the United States and Australia and continues to draw favourable comment. Indeed, it has been a major factor in the recent increase in membership from these continents as those involved in genealogical research attempt to understand the conditions in their ancestral home during this tragic period of the County's history.

If there are any readers who are not interested in either Young Ireland or the Great Famine, they can rest assured that there is still plenty to satisfy them in the 1998 Journal - no less than fourteen other articles in fact. Two on the War of Independence are posthumous: a last interview by Kilkenny historian Jim Maher with Dan Breen and a fragment of autobiography from Sean Sharkey of Clonmel on his exploits as Intelligence Officer for the Third Tipperary Brigade. Writing from Luxembourg, Cork-man Eoghan Ó hAannracháin contributes a fascinating 30 page account of Tipperary "Wild Geese" veterans who served in the French Army [see Newsletter #9 for more details], while another Kilkenny historian, Angela Bourke of UCD, analyses, from a feminist viewpoint, the horrific 1895 case of the Drangan woman Bridget Cleary, who was burned alive by family and neighbours on suspicion of being a witch. The other anniversaries occurring in 1998 are marked by Dr. Ruan O'Donnell of St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra and our own indefatigable "Des" Marnane, respectively. O'Donnell traces the career of Clonmel 1798 insurgent Philip Cunningham, who died violently in Australia. Marnane tells of the coming in 1848 of the railway to Co. Tipperary in a tale full of landlord greed and intrigue (in a characteristic aside, Marnane records that the first train arrived late at Limerick Junction, as it has done ever since!).

Going somewhat further back, Dr. Dagmar O'Riain-Raedel of UCC publishes a unique account from 1591 of a German "tourist" who came to Monaincha, the monastic site outside Roscrea. Kilkenny editor Edward Law recounts the exploits of the "bucks" of Fethard in the 1700s, led by the Freemason Amyas Griffith. Limerick & UCC archaeologist Tracy Collins provides an illustrated record of the ruined Hore Abbey close to the Rock of Cashel, neglected by most visitors to that town. Clonmel archaeologist Diarmuid O'Keefe contributes a profusely illustrated account of a set of 18th century gravestones, centred in Kilsheelan but spreading into counties Kilkenny and Waterford."

 

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL 1997

"The 1997 Tipperary Historical Journal will be a special tenth anniversary issue. Once again it will run to some 200 pages and, for the third consecutive year, it will also have a special “Famine 150” section. To mark ten years of the Journal our leading historian, Des Marnane, will contribute a specially written forty page article entitled “Tipperary History and Historians”. Containing no less than 220 footnotes (some running to half a page), this important article will survey the whole period from early Christian times to the present day and is certain to remain an important source-reference for years to come. Prominent amongst the other general articles is a biographical study by Nancy Murphy (of Nenagh) of Frank Maloney, a neglected Nenagh GAA personality. She places North Tipperary as the location of much activity in the early days of the GAA. Continuing the Journal’s coverage of the War of Independence are three articles. A new account is given of the historic 1917 Sinn Fein Ard-Fheis (when de Valera replaced Arthur Griffith) by Fr. Pat Gaynor, a Tipperary priest who was present. Thurles readers should read with interest a detailed analysis, by the Editor, of a chilling Civil War episode involving the future General Costello of Irish Sugar. UCG graduate, Kate O’Dwyer of Dundrum, gives a critical appraisal of the guerilla campaign of the Third “Tipp” Brigade. In addition, there is a report by Edward Law, of Kilkenny, of a Masonic funeral in Fethard in 1768 and a brief report of the initial results of a readers’ survey carried out for the Journal in 1996.

Heading the five-article “Famine 150” section of over fifty pages is a description of the Famine in South Tipperary in 1848 by Des Marnane. Using some new local sources, this article contains 10 statistical tables. Dr. Laurence Geary (of Mitchelstown and UCC) recalls an unedifying dispute, over a new fever hospital in Fethard, between Cashel officials and Fethard clergy at a time when people were dying in large numbers. Joe Walsh, of Cahir, publishes two Famine notebooks from UCC’s archives which belonged to the Butler family of Ballyslatteen. Danny Grace lists the forgotten priest-victims of the Famine and Dr. Tom McGrath reviews two new books on the Church and the Famine.

Four archaeological papers include more Clonmel excavations by Catryn Power and a report by Dr. Martin Doody (who wrote for our first issue in 1988) on fifteen years’ research into the Bronze Age, mostly in West Tipperary. A new, hitherto unrecorded, stone circle in North Tipperary is described by Jean Farrelly and Caimin O’Brien, while Tracy Collins, another UCG graduate, traces the medieval walls and towers of Cashel. Dean Lee of Cashel contributes a touching appreciation of our late patron, Dr. Thomas Morris, and a twelve page Books Section rounds off this tenth Journal. It includes a review of Seamus King’s “History of Hurling”, Prof. Mary Daly of UCD on John A. Murphy’s centenary history of UCC, a critique of the new edition of Thomas MacDonagh’s “Literature in Ireland”, published by Relay Books of Nenagh, and an assessment of Dutch historian Joost Augusteijn’s new book on the War of Independence in five counties, including Tipperary."

 

TIPPERARY HISTORICAL JOURNAL 1996

"In the Journal's second Famine section, running to 100 pages in 1996, pride of place goes to Dr. Des Marnane's 42-page account of conditions in South Tipperary during the worst Famine period. He exposes the shortcomings of British Government policy (both from Whitehall and Dublin Castle) in trying to cope with the disaster. Following three short records from the archives of the Folklore Commission (including one in Irish by the famous teacher/author from Newcastle, Séamus Ó Maolcathaigh), comes a fine 21-page survey of Famine conditions in Fethard by local historian Michael O'Donnell. Gordon Smith, a young Maynooth history graduate from Co. Dublin, also contributes a 13-page analysis of the medical aspects of the Famine in Tipperary.

Of the eleven general articles, the longest is that on the South Tipperary IRA from 1916 to 1921 by Dr. Joost Augusteijn of Amsterdam University (who gave a talk on this topic to the Society last November) in which he uses the UCD Archives with great skill. A valuable genealogical history of the O'Meara family of Lissinisky, near Nenagh, comes from the distinguished pen of Dr. John J. O'Meara, who was Professor of Classics in UCD for 36 years until he retired twelve years ago. Dr. Maria Luddy of the University of Warwick traces the work of District Nurses from 1815 to 1974, with special emphasis on Co. Tipperary. Archaeologist Dave Pollock, who lives near Fethard, contributes a detailed architectural account of the medieval Cahir Abbey, illustrated by no less than fourteen striking drawings of the complex by the author himself.

Amongst the books reviewed this year is the recent survey, by Rockwell teacher Séamus Leahy of the noted Tubberadora hurling family, of the "Babs" Keating era. This book is wittily (and appropriately) reviewed by the Editor of the Cork Historical & Archaeological Journal!"

 

 

 

 

 

home   about us   contact us   membership   journals
 

© Cumann Staire Chontae Thiobriad Árann

Co. Tipperary Historical Society, Castle Avenue, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, Ireland

Last updated December, 2014