Clonmel Library News

Category

Around Our Town Ep. 42 – Lord Lieutenant of Ireland visits Clonmel For four days in August 1865 the attention of the nation was firmly fixed on Clonmel. This was because Queen Victoria’s highest ranking official in Ireland was visiting the town. John Wodehouse, 1st Earl of Kimberly, was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and his...
Read More
The Tipperary Banking Collapse of 1856 On Sunday morning the 17th of February 1856 the body of man was discovered on Hamstead Heath in London. The body was that John Sadleir Esq. MP, a native of Shronell, Co. Tipperary. It would later be confirmed that Sadleir had committed suicide by drinking a phial of prussic...
Read More
Around Our Town Ep. 40 – Escape from Clonmel Jail On Saturday the 21st of September 1867 the Clonmel Chronicle reported news of a daring escape from Clonmel Jail. The escapee was the prominent Fenian Captain Lawrence O’Brien and the discovery of his empty cell on the previous morning sparked a countywide manhunt. O’Brien had...
Read More
Around Our Town Ep. 39 – Darby Brahan: The most feared man in Clonmel The name of Darby Brahan may not be familiar to the people of Clonmel today but in the mid 18th century he was quite possibly the most feared man in south Tipperary. If indeed you had the misfortune of coming face...
Read More
Around Our Town Ep. 38 – Attempted Abduction at Rathronan On Sunday the 2nd of July 1854 the church at Rathronan was the scene of an outrageous incident that would be talked about by the people of Tipperary for years to come. It was here John Rutter Carden attempted to abduct Eleanor Louisa Arbuthnot. Carden...
Read More
The townland of Glendaloughin straddles the Comeragh mountains north of Clonmel overlooking the beautiful Nire valley. It falls within the bounds of county Waterford but is part of the civil parish of Saint Mary’s, Clonmel. It is a picturesque and serene place but 116 years ago it was at the centre of a bitter dispute...
Read More
Our final stop on the Coleville Road is Greenpark (at times known as Greenville). This completes our look at the protected structures along the Coleville Road. Following the construction of the Gashouse Bridge in the 1820s the Coleville Road quickly became one of Clonmel’s desirable suburbs. Some the town’s wealthiest merchants and professionals bought and...
Read More
Fairy Hill House is situated half way down the Coleville road on the riverside. It is in fact two houses. The larger and older structure was original named Springfield House. It is clearly identified in both the first and second edition of the ordnance survey maps of Ireland. This puts its date of construction at...
Read More
Around Our Town Ep. 34 – The Coleville Road, Clonmel (Part 9) – Edward Burke, Mayor of Clonmel of Greyfort Greyfort on the south side of Coleville Road could be  considered more modest than some of its near neighbours. Built in the first half of the nineteenth century the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage describe...
Read More
Around Our Town Ep. 33 – The Coleville Road, Clonmel (Part 8) – Glenam House, Strangman & Grubb Glenam House situated on the south side of the Coleville is intriguing for a number of reasons. Like many of the homes on the road it is steeped in the heritage of the Quaker community in Clonmel....
Read More
1 2 3 4 6

News By Category

Accessibility Toolbar